Abortion Provider: Edgar A. Guess, Jr.

Abortionist Edgar A. Guess, Jr. was indicted for six counts of grand theft for filing false Medi-Cal claims.

Reference: Los Angeles County Superior Court Case #A331372.

Credit: Abortionviolence.com

Share on Facebook

Abortion Provider: Leonard Breslaw

Abortionist Leonard Breslaw got into trouble for insurance fraud and for prescribing controlled substances to drug addicts while his license was suspended.

He was convicted in 1972 of felony insurance fraud and perjury in connection with conspiracy to have his office burglarized to collect insurance money and denying said conspiracy in court.

Breslaw’s California medical license was suspended 180 days on January 28, 1982, with five years license probation. During his license probation period, he prescribed controlled substances “other than for a legitimate medical purpose and not in the usual course of medical practice …to persons not under respondent’s treatment for a pathology or condition other than addiction ..without either a good faith prior examination or medical indication.” He pled guilty to and was convicted of 10 counts of unlawful distribution of controlled substances. On December 15, 1986, he was fined $20,000 and given five years probation and a suspended five year prison sentence.

References: Los Angeles Municipal Court Case Number A-120918; California Medical Board Case Number D-3825.

Credit: Abortionviolence.com

Share on Facebook

Abortion Provider: Michael Rosenthal

Abortionist Michael Rosenthal, already on probation and without medical malpractice insurance, was stripped of his medical license after he acknowledged to the Medical Board of California that he misled patients, endangered their lives and attempted a second-trimester abortion.

Rosenthal admitted to the Board that he misled patients, lied to another physician, failed to reveal an abnormal pap smear result, failed to perform an ultrasound on a patient who had already delivered four babies by caesarean section, and started an abortion on a woman in her second trimester.

In an agreement dated September 24, 2001, he admitted gross negligence and incompetence. In an interview, he admitted to poor decisions that he made in part because he was taking Prozac that he prescribed to himself.

The Board accused him of botching three abortions in 1999, when he was running his own Upland, California-based abortion mill with the truly Orwellian name “Family Birthing Center.”

At the time his license was revoked, Rosenthal was on probation for two other incidents, one in 1986 and one in 1992. In the latter case, medical board prosecutors said he gambled that a pregnancy would be without incident and didn’t tell his patient that he had lost his privileges in San Antonio when he practiced there. His privileges were revoked after his insurance company stopped his malpractice coverage in 1992.

Rosenthal’s primary concern was not for the women he injured, but for the embarrassment his troubles would cause his wife, a former Mayor of Claremont. He showed his utter disregard for others when he said that “The single biggest thing is embarrassing Karen. I have resolved this in my own mind a long time ago. … For myself, I just don’t care.”

References: Tipton Blish. “Abortion Practitioner Admits Many Violations, Loses License.” Los Angeles Times, April 20, 2002; Steven Ertelt’s Pro-Life Infonet at http://www.prolifeinfo.org, April 21, 2002.

Credit: Abortionviolence.com

 

Share on Facebook

Abortion Provider: Edgar Ruiz

In February 2002, health and law enforcement officials shut down an unlicensed abortion clinic in West Hollywood, and are investigating whether the owner practiced medicine without a license. Abortionist Edgar Ruiz charged $200 in cash for abortions and catered to uninsured women, according to sheriff’s and county health department officials.

Ruiz told authorities he is licensed in his native Nicaragua, but does not hold a medical license in this country. A sheriff said that Ruiz drew “women wanting something cheap and discreet, something that wouldn’t leave a paper trail.” Ruiz told investigators that he has run his Centro Medico Para La Mujer abortion mill for four years in a medical building on Santa Monica Boulevard near the Hollywood Freeway.

Officials learned about the unlicensed abortion mill after a woman complained to county Supervisor Gloria Molina’s office on November 30, 2001 that the abortion practitioner had botched an abortion on her. An undercover sheriff’s deputy then visited the clinic posing as a patient, and Ruiz allegedly offered to perform a pelvic exam on her. Authorities then arrested Ruiz and seized hundreds of patient files and padlocked his abortuary.

His bail was set at $1 million. Investigators asked the district attorney’s office to file felony charges against Ruiz, alleging that he practiced medicine without a license with the risk of great bodily injury.

References: “Abortion Facility Shut Down in Hollywood.” Los Angeles Times, February 3, 2002; Steve Ertelt’s Pro-Life Infonet at http://www.prolifeinfo.org, February 4, 2002.

Credit: Abortionviolence.com

 

Share on Facebook

Abortion Provider: Hipolito Barreiro

Abortionist Hipolito Barreiro, owner of the Women’s Care abortion clinic in Miami, was charged with manslaughter in connection with the January 4, 1983 death of 33-year old Shirley Payne. He had not bothered to acquire a license to practice medicine in the United States. He performed abortions on women who were not pregnant. He asked a licensed physician to take responsibility for one of the women he killed. He used unsterile instruments and had three women employees with no medical training dress and act as nurses.

Barreiro had previously killed at least three other women with his “safe and legal” abortions, including 23-year old Ruth Montero on August 7, 1979; 25-year old Maura Morales on May 8, 1981; and 26-year old Myrta Baptiste on December 18, 1982. Barreiro’s abortion mill was unlicensed, because when the State of Florida attempted to regulate abortion clinics, their owners filed suit to protect their unlicensed status, and a circuit judge found that the law was “unjust.” Eventually, public outcry made the courts realize they could protect and defend this abortion mill no longer, and Circuit Court Judge Joseph Nadler ordered it closed.

There were many less severe but still tragic incidents of botched abortions at this abortuary over the years. On August 4, 1978, Carmen Neumann had her uterus and bowel perforated at the abortuary. It took her months to recover, including 15 days in a hospital. Digna Harris nearly died after her May 21, 1980 abortion, also having her uterus and bowel punctured. She settled out of court for $39,000 in damages. Avis Quarrel sued abortionist Alfred Pin after being victimized by an October 1980 botched abortion. Linda Mckinnon nearly died after her July 10, 1981 abortion. Jane Carroll had her uterus ruptured during her December 29, 1981 abortion and had to have a hysterectomy. Ivonne Bruno had a huge tear in her uterus caused by a May 9, 1982 abortion and had to have a total hysterectomy.

It should be noted that local and national pro-abortion groups loudly and vigorously defended this clinic.

References: Steve Sternberg and Bob Lowe. “Abortion Clinic’s Files Seized: Four Have Died After Operations at Miami Center.” The Miami Herald, January 8, 1983, pages 1A and 7A; “4 Patients Have Died Since Abortion Clinic Opened in ’78.” The Miami Herald, January 7, 1983, pages 1A and 7A; Steve Sternberg and Bob Lowe. “Clinic Owner is Held After Latest Death.” The Miami Herald, January 8, 1983, pages 1A and 8A; Steve Sternberg. “Judge Shuts Abortion Clinic; U.S. Joins Death Probe.” The Miami Herald, January 11, 1983, page 1A; New York Daily News, January 12, 1983; Miami Herald, January 5, 1983; State Report. “The Back Alley Comes to Main Street.” ALL About Issues, April 1983, page 29; State Report. “Abortuary Closed After Fourth Woman Dies.” ALL About Issues, March 1983, page 29.

 

 

Share on Facebook

Abortion Provider: Orlando Zalvidar

Abortionist Orlando Zalvidar had his medical license revoked twice due to botched abortions.

He supervised another abortionist, Hipolito Barrierio, who aborted Myrta Baptiste at the Woman’s Care Clinic on December 18, 1982. She arrived at a nearby hospital in critical condition due to delay of transfer and bled to death from two uterine perforations; Zaldivar could not be reached for 7 hours. Her abortion was done by an unlicensed practitioner and hence was technically illegal by CDC standards. Zaldivar’s license was inactive at the time, and he was evidently also supervising Hipolito Barrierio during this period.

Zalvidar had his medical license revoked in 1983 after aborting a 12-year-old girl, who suffered lacerations and required hospitalization.

Zalvidar’s medical license was revoked again in 1987 after at least four other cases of egregious malpractice.

References: Miami Herald, December 22, 1982, January 5, 1983, May 4, 1983 and November 17, 1986; Obstetrics & Gynecology News, September 1986; and Dade County Circuit Court Case #83-37733.

Credit: Abortionviolence.com

Share on Facebook

Abortion Provider: Daniel Holschauer

Abortionist Daniel Holschauer got in trouble for using cocaine, lying to hospital officials and stalking patients.

According to NY State Board of Professional Medical Conduct Case # BPMC 01-99, abortionist Daniel Holschauer had been treated for cocaine abuse and was reported to have lied on his medical applications about his troubles.

Local news stated that he lied to officials at two hospitals when he applied for privileges at both hospitals, claiming he’d never had a problem with drugs or alcohol abuse. An article in the The Times Herald Jan 6, 2001) stated that in fact, he’d been in drug rehab for cocaine addiction, which had cost him a job in 1988, and which was an ongoing problem. He was also charged with stalking abortion patients that he wanted to have sex with.

Credit; Life Dynamics

Share on Facebook

Abortion Provider: Ismail Elguindi

Dr. Ismail Elguindi got in trouble with the medical board when fetal parts were found in a trash container outside his clinic on April 8, 1989.

Autopsy reports on the fetuses say:

“FETUS #1: Parts of a fetus of indeterminate sex include a skull cap, both arms total with scapula intact, the entire vertebral column with a portion of rib cage attached, the pelvic girdle, the left femur, and both lower legs with feet attached. A kidney, the tongue, and one eye was also retrieved. Gestational age was estimated at 4 months, perhaps very slightly greater, estimated on length of long bones. Measurements are as follows: femur 28 mm. …foot length 18 mm. … hand length 15 mm. The tissue was evidently fresh from a viable abortion within hours. FETUS

#2: A beheaded male fetus of an estimated 7-8 weeks gestation. The length of the fetus from shoulder to rump is estimated at 2.2 cm… The arms and scapula girdle was traumatically detached and retrieved in a separate piece. Again the tissue is fresh from a viable and very recent abortion.”

The abortion of Fetus #1 outside a properly licensed facility constituted a felony. Elguindi was prosecuted for this felony. He said that the had once flushed fetal remains, but later conracted with a company to dispose of boxed fetal remains. The scandal cost Elguindi a $10,000 fine by the medical board, along with the loss of his medical license.
(Sources: Medical Board letter 2-22-95; The State 3-6-90, 7-26-91, 9-7-91, 5-18-94 , et al, Greenville News 3-6-90, Medical Board Final Order 10-31-91, Autopsy FA-89-446, AP 3-5-90)

Credit: Christina Dunigan

 

Share on Facebook

Abortion Provider: Joan Golub

Brigham and Women’s Hospital has been in the news recently when five nurses alleged that the staff abortionist threatened to kill them over some forms reportedly missing from the nurses’ station. Now, then, is an apt time to look at a previous Brigham and Women’s abortionist: Joan Golub.

First, we’ll look at the allegations of a patient I’ll call “Julie,” who went to Brigham and Women’s for a cone biopsy by Golub:

Julie was admitted for the cone biopsy on July 20, 1981. She said that she was not informed of the risks of a cone biopsy during pregnancy, and that staff did not wait for the results of a pregnancy test before proceeding with the biopsy.

After the procedure, Julie said, she was told that she “had been pregnant but that she was no longer pregnant due to the biopsy.”

Julie said that she never would have consented to a cone biopsy had she known of the pregnancy and of the risks to her fetus. Subsequently, however, she learned that the fetus evidently hadn’t died; she was still pregnant, but the “pregnancy was significantly compromised by the anesthesia, blood loss and other effects of biopsy.” Julie said that Golub told her that an immediate abortion was necessary, and Julie consented to have Golub perform the recommended abortion.

Julie had consulted with Golub, she said, after another doctor had told her that she might have cervical cancer. The defense argued that Julie would have consented to the biopsy anyway, and that due to her extreme anxiety over the possibility of having cancer, she probably would not have been able to carry the pregnancy to term anyway.

Due to persisting gynecological problems, Julie had to have a hysterectomy.

Source: Suffolk Superior Court Complaint No. 69630

Golub also had faced previous allegations about treatment of a patient at Bill Baird Center:

A patient I’ll call “Starleigh,” age 21, said that she had a 6-week abortion performed by Golub June 9, 1979, at the Bill Baird Center. She experienced excruciating pain during the procedure, and, as she said later, she asked Golub to stop “because I was losing consciousness.”

“Afterward,” Starleigh said, “I could not get up.”

Starleigh said that she was kept in the recovery room 1 1/2 hours, but was not examined by a doctor before she was discharged.

She returned to the clinic July 2, reporting pain and cramps. She also said that her period had not yet resumed. She was fitted with a diaphragm, and commented of Michael Rees, the doctor who saw her, “He was very condescending and his whole demeanor was one of arrogance.

Early in August, Starleigh called to report that she was still not menstruating, but they told her not to worry. She returned August 20 for a pregnancy test, which came back positive.

Starleigh said that Don Jaffe, another doctor at Bill Baird Center, told her, “I was at least 15 weeks pregnant, that I was having twins and that they only aborted one and not the other. He told me the best thing to do would be to go into the hospital and finish the job that was started.” Golub arranged this second abortion.

Starleigh said that while awaiting this second abortion, she suffered “anxiety attacks, insomnia, nightmares, periods of depression, and doubts about the upcoming operation.” She was admitted August 27 for the second abortion and discharged the next day.

Afterward, Starleigh said, she suffered from nightmares and depression. “I was hysterical and crying on and off much of the time, and after the second abortion for several months.” She added, “I have suffered from extreme anxiety since the second abortion.” She reported personality changes: “less friendly, less ambitious and energetic and more lethargic.” She sought psychiatric care and dropped out of school.

“At first I lost forty pounds. Now I am overweight and I care less about my appearance. I am more indifferent toward education and I am afraid of doctors,” Starleigh said of the aftermath of her abortions.

Golub and the Center each separately argued the lack of an enforcable contract between themselves and Starleigh, and won defense verdicts.

Source: Suffolk Superior Court Action No. 55286

Credit: Christina Dunigan

 

Share on Facebook

Abortion Provider: Ronald Stevenson

On February 12, 2004, abortionist Ronald Stevenson was convicted on two counts of aggravated harassment of his customers. He had plea bargained more serious sex abuse charges.

He was originally charged with one count of second-degree felony sex abuse and four counts of third-degree misdemeanor sex abuse regarding his patients, but entered an “Alford plea,” where the defendant does not admit guilt, but takes advantage of a plea bargain offered by the district attorney’s office. The plea is legally viewed as a conviction.

The abortionist will be on probation for five years. He also had sexual molestation charged filed against him in October 1997.

Reference: “News Notes: Abortionist Convicted.” The Wanderer, February 26, 2004, page 3.

Abortionviolence.com

Share on Facebook